Monday, January 18, 2010

OCD and Exercise

I think I've posted about this before, but I'm noticing the effect of exercise on my OCD even more lately. When I run I feel strong and free, and exposures just seem more doable. And I can usually carry that over when I get home, as long as I've resolved to do an exposure when I'm out running. Of course sometimes runs present their own exposures, and that's probably good, too.

I can often decide not to take a shower that I planned to take, even though I am objectively grubby at the end of a run. As long as I don't have to be around anyone important right after my run at least; the cats don't seem to mind.

The only caution I have to remember is that I often view my running as another way to keep myself free from colds, so sometimes I purposely skip more days than I would otherwise between runs, just so it doesn't become its own ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment