Friday, November 6, 2009

Labeling and Acting "Normal"

It's a pretty basic technique, but labeling my fears as OCD has been helpful to me lately. In a "this is OCD so you better just do it" kind of way. I'm pretty sure I've written about this before, but I haven't had much luck with it before.

I've also been finding success with a "normal people don't have to do this" approach to life.

As in, you know, most people don't have to go wash their hands after putting on their shoes, or most people aren't afraid to schedule a meeting at work in case an attendee is sick.

I'm not using it as reassurance, because I'm still anxious after going ahead with the exposure, but it's making me do them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have OCD, too. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I was diagnosed with severe OCD in 1990 when I was 27. Just last year, I felt well enough to write an autobiography telling people about my journey. If you're interested, check out my blog. www.ruthjhartman.blogspot.com
    It's not just about OCD, it's mainly about my writing.

    Take care,

    Ruth J. Hartman

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazybeanrider, your post made me laugh. I feel like that sometimes, too. I think I'm being smooth, but my family isn't fooled. Our "normal" will probably never quite be anyone else's normal, but we can keep trying!

    ReplyDelete