Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Updates

I'd been sitting with the anxiety about lunch with my aunt, and while it hadn't disappeared, it had gone down quite a lot. Today she called me at work to cancel. She'd had a fight with my dad and it stressed her out so much she didn't want to meet. Her calling me at work was a clear OCD-based action on her part. She couldn't wait the few hours it would take till I got home to get it off her chest. I'm torn. On the one hand, yay, I get my morning back. On the other hand, it actually made my anxiety zoom back up a little, with the uncertainty involved- would she change her mind again before tomorrow, now we have to reschedule, etc. I went for a brief walk, and now I'm feeling okay-ish again.

Interactions like this with her always remind me why I'm willing to sit with tough exposures: I don't want to live a life like hers, so stressful, so empty.

But a great thing happened today, too. I went to the knitting at lunch group! The people were so welcoming and nice. Oftentimes at the end of a social event, I think ugh, that sucked, or even worse, ugh, I suck. Today I left feeling like I couldn't wait to go back. Yay for scary social event #15!

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool you went knitting! And that the knitters were nice! That sums it so well--the fear that a social event ends in feeling that "I suck"--so yay for wanting to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Sounds like you're doing awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you I won't forget the time I was kicked out of church for what I did and I moved on. OCD is a part of my life too.

    ReplyDelete