Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If It's Not One Thing, It's Another

I've been able to continue my streak of only washing my hands after using the restroom at work. So my OCD has to find a new way to keep me under its thumb. This week it's the garbage can. I've developed a fear of water in the garbage can, either mine or my neighbors' cans. Because, of course, it's a slurry of who knows what, and it has to be dumped out somewhere, and what if I walk through it, and on and on like that. The fact that I've been putting out garbage in the rainy NW for 12 years and I'm not dead yet apparently matters not at all.

So yesterday I went outside to put the garbage out. Guess what. That record rainfall over the last week apparently all gathered in my garbage can! Of course it did. When I picked the can up, garbage can water ran all over the driveway. And then I tried to dump it in the grass, and instead poured it on my just about to ripen strawberry patch. Yum!

I'm tellin' ya. It's just not possible to get this stuff right! Which of course is a clear sign that I just shouldn't try. Still working on that.

2 comments:

  1. The OCD will always find a way to undermine your efforts and successes. What I have learned is, if I am comfortable, I'm not doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The fact that I've been putting out garbage in the rainy NW for 12 years and I'm not dead yet apparently matters not at all."
    I totally get that! Logically you can go through something in your head and it "should" make it okay...but somehow OCD fear is not subject to logic. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete