Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Scary Social Events: A Crapshoot

About a week ago, I looked at the calendar and realized that it had been more than six weeks since I'd attended a "scary social event." Since the original goal was to do this an average of once a week, I was well overdue. Luckily, there were several things coming up on the calendar.

The first was a reception for a non-profit I thought I might be interested in volunteering with. I knew it would be hard for me, since I didn't know anyone, and I'm not a good mingler, but I decided to go for it. It did not work out well. When I walked in, I asked the woman manning the check in table about volunteering. She told me the best thing to do would be to look at their website. My heart sank, as I realized that meant I had basically lost my potential conversation topic before I even got started. Now, if I were a better chit-chatter, I could have talked to the people there, almost all certainly current volunteers, about their experiences. Unfortunately, I am not a good chit-chatter, everyone was sitting with at least one other person at a table, and most of them looked about 20. They didn't have any poster board information to stand in front of and pretend to read. So after about 4 minutes, I left. So, I think we can call that one a dud. It was scary social event #33 for the year, though, even if only for 4 minutes.

On the other hand, yesterday I had a FAR better experience. I suspected I would. The local neighborhood association was volunteering at the food bank. I figured even if the social part went poorly, there'd be something to do. It got off to a rocky start, as I couldn't find the group for about 10 minutes. Once I did, it turned out they all knew each other, but not surprisingly, people who serve on the board of the neighborhood association are very welcoming. I chatted like I knew how, met some very nice people, all of whom live within a quarter mile of me, and helped the community in the process. Scary social event #34: a rousing success. The very very best part? For the entire time I was there, I didn't have one single OCD related thought. Heaven!

5 comments:

  1. I liked this post, especially your comment "I chatted like I knew how." I know exactly what that's like! Congratulations on the success, and you did a good deed at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad scary social event #34 was such a success! Truthfully, it sounds like scary social event #33 would have been a dud OCD or not. That didn't seem like a very friendly or welcoming bunch. I think you can chalk up that dud to them as much if not more than you. The fact that you had such a great time at scary social event #34 shows that. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your initiative.....good for you! I agree that social event #33 would most likely have been a dud for anyone, OCD or not.

    And if you chatted like you knew how, then you DO know how!

    Thanks for the uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the success Ann! :) It would have been easy after 33 being a dud to just give up. But you stuck to it, and 34 was a success. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congradulations!! I'm glad you had a great time at the food bank. I need to do some of this mingling too in the next year. You inspire me to get out beyond myself and my shyness/ ocd. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete