Saturday, November 12, 2011

Darn

Just when I get a little pleased with myself, the garbage cans are out to get me again. This time it's my neighbor's can. Our city recently started collecting food waste in with the yard waste, so now our garbage is only picked up every two weeks. No problem for me, I live alone and don't create much garbage. Plus the yard waste gets picked up more often, great for a gardener like me.

My neighbors however, have 5 or 6 people in their house. They also apparently don't follow directions well, as they missed the first garbage pickup under the new system. So that means a house that already completely filled their bin every week is going to go 4 weeks between pickups. With almost two weeks to go, their can is overflowing already.

I do not like garbage, I like it even less when I imagine it strewn about the street. I know I should just sink into the exposure and work my way through the anxiety. Instead I'm just freaking out about garbage germs. Grrrrr.

Edited to add: After posting this on a yahoo forum, I've been reminded that now is the time to do some exposures! Nooooooo! So I'm going to try. I'll let you know how that goes! :P

5 comments:

  1. Hi are you the same darn off stuck in the doorway if so can you get on site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that! Perhaps your neighbors will be aware of the problem as well and order a 2nd can? Wouldn't that be a thing to be thankful for this November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't think I am, but I have not been able to access stuckinadoorway for at least this week. That seems to happen every so often, but the site usually reappears eventually. Don't know if it's a money issue or just a tech issue or what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do your neighbors have a garage they could keep it in??? Not that you would say, "Hey, stick your garbage in your garage so the rest of us don't have to deal with it!" I always worry that leaving trash outside is going to draw all sorts of animals. Of course, I live in the country where raccoon and possums are a big problem. Still, I have two neighbors that tend to leave their cans out at the road for days. Freaks me out a bit and I'm sure they're much further away from me than your neighbors are from you. Tough one......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the exposures! I’ve learned so much about OCD from helping an author who wrote a love story where one of the main characters has OCD. One of her family members has OCD and went through CBT. With all the things I’ve learned about, from exposures to cognitive behavior therapy, the most valuable lesson is that there aren’t enough accurate portrayals of OCD. Even working with publishers can be difficult because of preconceived notions about how OCD can affect someone. Her name is Andrea Kaufman and hopefully her book Oxford Messed Up can help enlighten public perceptions.

    ReplyDelete