Sunday, November 20, 2011

Light Therapy

My winter depression seems mild this year, but it's definitely there; the winter has really only started, too. I finally hauled out the blue light therapy light that I "inherited" last year. It's really small and really easy to use. And so far, I've found it fits really easily into my morning routine. I'd say my mood is slightly better even after just a few days, but this week also has some PMS-y mood stuff going on, so I can't really be sure what's causing what. I'm also really prone to placebo effects when it comes to my depression (which I don't consider a bad thing). Will keep you posted if I see real changes.

5 comments:

  1. I've tried one of these and didn't find that it helped at all. Though I get horrible depression in the winter too - due to the lack of light so I can't figure out why it wouldn't work. I might try it again. My work situation is so much better for SAD this year though because it is rare that I actually have to get up in the dark. Makes a HUGE difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find daylight, fresh air and exercise to be the best remedy. I go for long walks with good music on my mp3 player to keep me company and when I get back, those downbeat feelings are suppressed and my day seems far better.

    I have never seen one of those lights but if it helps, then that can only be a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this new concept:

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37801615/seqinetic-wearable-light-to-fight-the-winter-blues

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last comment seems a little spammy, but I figured if anyone wants to take a look at this potential project, what the heck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides devices which are used to stimulate living tissue, erase scars, treat acne and remove wrinkles, you can also treat mood disorders and SAD using a depression lamp. Full Spectrum lamps can be used by people who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Research has shown that people with Bi-polar order and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome also benefit from using a depression lamp.

    ReplyDelete