Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another Day

Okay, so that last post was pretty terrible, but there you have it. Here's a more standard post. In the last couple of weeks, I read a book and watched a movie that both made me say ewww! Not recommended for bad OCD days.

First the book: Medical Detectives by Berton Roueche. It's a nonfiction book about health department epidemiologists solving tricky cases. It's a funny book anyway, since the stories were written in the 1940s and 50s; we don't have so many typhoid outbreaks these days in the U.S. But even so, it got a little overwhelming to read story after story of people contracting dreadful diseases. I had to put it down.

The movie was Sunshine Cleaning, with Emily Blunt and Amy Adams as women who start a "biological cleanup" company, cleaning up after crimes and deaths. I actually enjoyed the movie overall, but there was one scene, ugh. They've just started, don't realize that they should be following some precautions, and they're carrying a massively blood stained mattress. One of them trips, and she falls face first onto the mattress. OMG!!

Anyway, OCD does make our experience of the world a little different (not that I imagine most people weren't horrified by that mattress scene!)

1 comment:

  1. "One of them trips, and she falls face first onto the mattress. OMG!!" I probably would have thrown up just watching this! I don't watch a lot of movies - I usually wait until my spouse or sister watch them first, and deem them 'friendly.' So you are brave to just dive right in.
    http://www.anxietyland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete