Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why Do I Blog?

Well, ultimately, it doesn't really matter. But I have been thinking about it lately, in part because a friend has recently started a blog, and we've been talking about it.

When I first started, I thought I was going to be making super amazing progress, and I would be oh, so inspirational. Hmm, well. I have made progress, and I'm happy about that, but I still have a good long way to go.

One problem with the blog: An OCD-type feeling of inadequacy when I don't make fast progress. But heck, I guess I shouldn't worry about that, because I know a lot of people (sometimes myself included) are fascinated by reading about the wacky things that people with OCD do. So on bad days, I suppose I should really go for the full-on OCD crazy (I kid, mostly).

Other times, I go read another OCD blog and think, oh, they write so much better than I do, why am I even bothering, but I know it's not a competition.

For now, it's mostly about accountability. Despite the fact that I'm not progressing as fast as I'd hoped, I know for certain that there have been some weeks where I've completed an exposure simply because I wanted to be able to come to the blog and say, I did it!! Most days, that's success.

3 comments:

  1. I love having all of you OCD bloggers to turn to! Good days happen and bad days happen and sometimes just plain funny things happen. Keep writing! It is nice to know there are others of us out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Angela. Keep writing! Your blog is inspiring to me. Even if you feel like there are times you don't improve as much as you want to, you keep going and that motivates me to keep going too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding your blog inspired me to start mine, and I am very glad that I did. Yes it is about accountability, but also sharing your courage in doing the nitty gritty of exposures is encouraging to me. I suspect OCD perpetuates itself in part by telling us we aren't getting better fast enough, so we should just give up, but you are persisting. My therapist likes to say even 1% improvement is a victory over OCD.

    ReplyDelete