Monday, December 14, 2009

The Outcome is None of My Business

This was the status report on a friend of a friend's facebook recently, and I love it. It's not true in every context, but for my OCD, it's a reality check that's working.

I have SUCH a tendency to try to micromanage what I worry about. Hmm, lunch on Saturday? Well, how about Sunday, the weather looks better (yeah, I don't know why the weather would affect lunch either). And if it's an event that can't be moved (especially if, God forbid, it's an outdoor event), I will watch the weather all week, as though watching the forecast actually has any effect on the weather.

When I think to myself, "the outcome is none of my business," it snaps me out of rumination and gets me back to the present, reminding me that I can't control everything and I shouldn't try. This is especially true when I'm trying to control the outcome of someone else's life, something that makes even less sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment