Monday, October 5, 2009

Uncle!

If I needed any more proof that I can't control it: the party on Saturday was to celebrate the end of my aunt's chemo. I was very happy for her, of course, but I also felt a sense of relief for myself, that I didn't need to worry as much as I had been about getting sick and in turn making her sick. So, Monday morning staff meeting at work, a coworker confides that she's just been diagnosed with breast cancer and will start her treatment this week. I'm not enough of a clod to care more about the effect on me than the effect on her. But. I guess it's about time to realize that all I can do is live my life, it's just too much to try to protect everyone around me, because I'll never succeed. Here's hoping for positive outcomes for them both.

1 comment:

  1. It's good you have such a clear perspective on what you can and cannot control. That's a good thing. Because it can really overwhelm you and make you unhealthly.

    The hard part is putting that realization to work. here's to living life! :)

    ReplyDelete