Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Importance of Repetition

I've been reminded in the last few weeks how important repetition is in exposure and response prevention. I've been out to restaurants a ton in the last few weeks. The first few times, eating food with my hands made me really uncomfortable. While I still don't love it, it's getting easier, and I certainly no longer think about it before I go out, as I have in the past.

Similarly, for years I've been avoiding public restrooms, but also wondering why when I did use them, it didn't seem to get any easier. Once every six months just wasn't cutting it. Now I'm up to a once a week schedule. And while I'm not exactly comfortable with them yet, it is already getting easier.

I still think it sucks that people with OCD have to do things that terrify us over and over again in order to get better, but mostly, I think it beats the alternative.

1 comment:

  1. "And while I'm not exactly comfortable with them yet, it is already getting easier. "

    This gives me hope. I'm about to start working on this exact fear. My homework for the next couple of weeks is to walk into a public bathroom once a day. I don't have to stay in it, just walk in and then out. Just that much terrifies me. I used to be able to use them years ago. I hate having a schedule of when I can drink. I hate being dehydrated all day just because I can't go to the bathroom until I get home. So stupid! It's encouraging to hear that even public bathrooms can get easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete