Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Not Quite Out

I seriously considered attending last weekend's OCD conference in San Diego. I'm getting jealous reading the accounts of those who did go. And it would have been great to put faces to some of your blogs out there. Ultimately, three things kept me from attending (and fear of hotels was not even one of them, so that's cool). One, it's kinda pricy to fly large distances and stay in hotels. Two, late July is one of the few times that Portland's weather is likely to rival San Diego's. Sure enough, last weekend was simply gorgeous here, and it's hard to lose out on some of the rare decent weather we get.

Third, and by far the most important, is that I have a close friend in San Diego. I'd love to visit her, and I couldn't see visiting San Diego without letting her know I was there. But I also couldn't see letting her know WHY I was there. Conundrum. Despite being a close friend, I've never told her about my OCD. I don't ever find it shocking when someone I know discloses mental illness issues, but I'm not very open with my own. Maybe that will change, but as yet, it has not.

5 comments:

  1. Attitudes towards mental illness can be quite negative sadly, but I find that sharing such information with friends makes you feel much better, you feel a sense of support from them. Extra support is always a good thing. With this said, not many of my friends know about my OCD either. Just three close friends, my boyfriend and two lecturers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish I'd gone, too, except for missing work, spending money I don't have, traveling, flying, staying in a different place, breaking my very carefully established routine, etc. Maybe I'll go another year. I have a friend in CA, but I can't remember where. I have admitted depression to her, and maybe OCD, but I can immagine trying to figure out a way to go without telling your friend would be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend going to any OCD sufferer, but I can certainly understand your reasoning - especially the last one. Last year when I went to the conference in DC, I stayed with and visited a close friend that I hadn't seen in several years. I initially lied about why I was going...basically I just kept it vague..."I'm going to a...uh...conference I'm really interested in..." In the end, I ended up admitting what is was, but I never really explained the connection between my life and the conference, though I'm sure it was readily apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you missed out on the conference (so did I) but happy you had your nice weather :)
    Telling people about OCD seems to be difficult all around.....my son has told close friends, and most of our family knows...oh, and his college professors as well, but it certainly isn't every day conversation for him, or me for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to tell people. Most of my family know but they don't all understand it. I have only told a few friends and they are supportive but don't quite get it either.

    I am so glad to have found OCD bloggers just like me who get it :-)

    ReplyDelete