Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hooray for Pasta Salad

At my workplace, we love potlucks. My entire department of 50 has them about three times a year, and my workplace knitting group has a monthly birthday potluck. I too love potlucks, but for about 5 years now, I've never brought a non-dessert item to a potluck. Baking kills all the germs, of course.

It hasn't always been this way, even with OCD. Back when I lived in Seattle, I'd host huge potlucks probably 3 times a year, inviting everyone I knew. I'd usually make a main dish and a huge fruit salad. But recently, I've become convinced I'd spread death and destruction through food poisoning.

When I was seeing my therapist, she encouraged me to bring cut up carrots to my book club, but the closest I got was bringing whole apples a couple of times. About a month ago, I thought about bringing pasta salad to the knitting potluck. I even bought all of the ingredients, but then I just skipped the potluck altogether. Bad.

Yesterday we had a potluck to celebrate the end of my boss's cancer treatment. I still had most of those pasta salad ingredients, and I went for it. There were a few unnecessary hand washes during the prep, but I definitely consider it a success. It tasted great, too.

I don't know quite where all this impetus for action is coming from, but it really builds on itself. I encourage you to try it if you haven't already! It feels (scary) and great!!

3 comments:

  1. That's great Ann, to me it sounds like excellent progress. keep up the good work. My OCD is with checking things, counting and the unwanted thoughts, but I haven't seen a shrink in a while and my anxiety, depression and OCD are killing me. I will start seeing a new shrink this week, hooray!.

    But your words and dedication are an inspiration to me, Thank you very much. You make me see that there is light at the end of the tunnel for me. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just wanted to write you a word of encouragement, Ann. I've been reading your blog and cheering for you. I've struggled with OCD since my teenage years. It's agonizing and dominating. It takes control in ways most other people would never understand. I'm grateful that it is not always at a fever pitch, but recedes to the background at times. Anyway, it's inspiring to read your journey and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tony and Rebecca, for reading and for the words of support.

    ReplyDelete