Saturday, June 25, 2011

The House Is Still Standing

My sister returned home today, and all was well. I ended up going over there twice. The first time I was so proud of myself. When I went to leave, I locked the door, checked it once, walked away. Felt good about it. But that wouldn't do, would it? So you know what I grew worried about within about a block of my drive home?! That the refrigerator had stayed open a crack and the cat would climb in and suffocate. How many cats do you know that have died that way? Yeah, same here.

On the plus side, I recognized how counterproductive it would be to return and check, so I continued home. If the cat died, I would feel bad, and I would deal with it when it happened. Of course the cat was fine. The second night I was a little stressed when I left, but it was much better. Overall, I was really glad to have done it, as housesitting is something that's caused me problems for a while.

In the meantime, I found some home canned goods at my mom's house from, I kid you not, 1994. Botulism fears, here I go.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!

    It's hard for me to avoid checking something ocd told me to check if it could hurt some one else. For me i used to drive around the block if i thot i hit someone with my car and couldn't see everything was ok out the rearview mirror. It has been so hard for me to stop doing that.

    Amazing, tho how much easier it is to not check once you've talked yourself out of going back the first time! Again, congradulations and i hope this is the first of many successful house sitting adventures.

    Ps. throw out the home canned goods- jar and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You didn't go back and check, that's great. I understand the bizarre fears - it seems like anything is possible when OCD comes along. And about the cans - that one I can't do. I opened a can last year, I think. That makes 5 cans in the last, ah, 17 years. Yep. Still working on that ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the above anonymous comment was just me. :)
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good on resisting the urge to go back!!! I know exactly how that feels, and it is no fun. But, once you keep going and don't go back, you start to learn what it's all about, looking OCD in the eye and not giving into the rituals. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete