Sunday, March 10, 2013

An Exercise Placebo Effect?!

I haven't been running much this winter, as in the cold it seems to bother my hip quite a bit. Now that the weather's warming up, I thought I'd try again. Friday I felt pretty down (which turned out to be hormonal), and while I was feeling better my Saturday, I still wasn't feeling great.

So yesterday evening I set out for my first run in weeks, maybe in months. And seriously, by the end of about 2 minutes, I felt great! There's almost no way there were endorphins surging through my system. I think my body just knew this was a good thing.

Last week Elizabeth noted in her blog that she's unusual in disliking spring. I'm one of those standard folks that loves it (although I do prefer the drier weather of summer). The days are longer and warmer, and without many allergies I love the wonderful smells of spring flowers. So as I was running and basking in the fact that it was warmer and it smelled good. I felt powerful and hopeful.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed your run so much! After only 2 minutes, your body was definitely telling you it was a good thing. Feeling "powerful and hopeful" are no small things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it was a psychosomatic effect - all in your head. ;) I know, that's what we OCD'ers need - more junk in our heads. lol Glad you enjoyed your run. I love spring, too. It's always a month or two later coming to Idaho where I live, but it's my favorite season of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been running a lot lately and I've realized how much it helps. And I can relate with the "weather" bit you've talked about. I like the clear blue sky and the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I totally believe in the uplifting power of exercise. I don't care if it is a 5 minute walk, that is better than nothing. I am with you though on Spring, and I can't wait to get out to walk and run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think even just moving (not to the point of being called exercise)has beneficial effects on my mood.....and yes, c'mon spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I'm glad it felt so good to run. I have always wanted to be a runner, but it gives me headaches. Bummer. I hear it's great for mood.

    ReplyDelete