Friday, July 13, 2012

Forgetting to Have OCD... and Then Remembering Again

My coworker moved over to our office this week. On Tuesday she called to ask if she should bring her nice wood bookcase- would there be room or need? Now, if I'd remembered I have OCD, I would have tried to think of a logical reason that we didn't need it, that there wouldn't be room. Because after all, bedbugs like wooden furniture.

But I "forgot" and I answered like "normal" me. I thought a wood bookcase sounded pretty and said, "sure, bring it over. We can always get rid of it later if we don't have room."

It took a full 24 hours before I thought, hey, what the heck. That was TERRIBLE advice! Haha. It felt good.

In the end, she didn't bring the bookcase. But it was not because of me, and I'm glad about that.

But on to the remembering. Yesterday morning I walked out my front door only to be faced with my neighbor's overflowing garbage can. A crow was pulling a half full bag of dry cereal out of the top. That accomplished, the bird dropped it all on the ground and had a a feast. So I spent the day ruminating about garbage again. Grumble, grumble.

On the positive side, I pledged not to touch (as in "fix") their can or their garbage, and so far I've kept the pledge.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome about not touching the garbage! You can do it. And you will be so glad later on that you resisted touching it.

    I know what you mean about "forgetting" about having OCD. Especially since I'm getting better, it happens to me more often. I will respond to something normally then totally panic later when I realize what I've done! But I think that's a good sign that sometimes we are starting to think more normally first, and OCD second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on all counts! It's nice to "forget" the OCD, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my granddaughter would say, "cool beans." I love you forgot OCD.
    We are having trouble in our neighborhood with the garbage men just knocking over the recycling cans - it is collected separately so then the recycling blows everywhere. My husband doesn't have OCD but he saw them do it and was so mad he called to complain-for the 2nd time in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - I've had many of those moments lately and aren't they wonderful????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like that juxtaposition of good and bad, good to forget, and then the bad of realizing. But it sounds like it's going ok! Good for not fixing up the trash. It's their responsibility, assuming they ever do what they are supposed to :)
    Adventures in Anxiety Land

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Forgetting you have OCD? What could be better!! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete