Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Medication May Be Working

It seems I didn't mention it here, but I started up on an SSRI in February, a low-ish dose. I can't quite tell if it's working (oh, now I see I did mention it a few posts ago). Past side effects have included insomnia but this time I'm tired, so so tired. And the dreams: vivid, sometimes disturbing dreams. I was thinking of giving it up, since I don't see a huge effect. But before I did so, I upped this dose a small amount this week. And I think I'm seeing a difference. For the first time in who knows how long, I woke up yesterday feeling excited about a few things this week, including signing the lease on my new apartment. Feeling excited rather than terrified is really really rare for me. Is it the medication? Is it the situation? Can't say for sure. Other aspects of my upcoming move have me terrified. But I'd say there's enough chance that the good feelings are related to the medication that I'm going to stick with it a while longer.

6 comments:

  1. Hey glad to hear you are doing better! I've been told by my therapist that it can take for up to 12 weeks for an SSRI to work for OCD. I seem to recall that it took about that long before I saw a significant improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're seeing some good effects from the medication. The good effects kind of sneak up on you--at least, that's how it worked with me. A different dose can really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know an SSRI can have opposite side effects at different times... not sure if I should be scared or glad to know. :)

    I'm glad you are "feeling excited" about your life again. It is such a great feeling, especially when one hasn't had it in a while. I'd agree that if the side effects aren't too bad, it's worth trying the medication longer. Of course, I'm still on my medications... so maybe I'm biased. :) And I have definitely found that dose increases can be helpful. And life changes. Whatever the reason(s), I'm glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really relate to what you're going thru! Check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SSRI's are really great in terms of side effects; theirs are much lower than other kinds of meds! I am glad that they seem to be working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ssri takes a while for you to feel the effect. im also an ssri user on my 7th week. i also a med for panic attacks on a daily basis and makes me relaxed a bit. i dont care about the ssri side effects as long as it works

    ReplyDelete